Chicken Taco Salad

Let's make some taco seasoning! I like to mix a batch and keep it in its own little container. This is so cheap and easy to whip together yourself, especially if you grow and dry your own spices. If that's not an option try buying them in bulk - you'll be spending pennies on the dollar.


Mix the following ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs Chili Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/4 tsp Oregano
  • 1/2 tsp Paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Black Pepper
So for this dish I'm using a boneless skinless chicken breast. I laid a couple grapefruit slices on the bottom of my pan, rubbed the chicken generously with my taco seasoning, then placed on top of the citrus slices. I've done this before with limes and I thought the grapefruit might be interesting.


Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until done all the way through. Allow to cool, then shred or slice or chop or whatever. While the chicken is cooking you can also heat some beans if that's your thing! It's totally mine...I love beans. Rinse and drain a can of beans - I'm using black beans - then dump in a shallow pan or skillet. Squeeze some lime juice and add a little taco seasoning. Heat through.

For your salad base lay down some greens of your choosing; I'm using romaine and green leaf. Top with beans, chicken, cheese, homemade salsa, and a dab of sour cream. Or be like Jim and wrap all them ingredients up in a tortilla!

Oh yeah I put olives on it too :>

Comments

Popular Posts