St. Paddy's Day

The Dublin Coddle is a traditional slow-cooked Irish casserole of bacon, sausage, potatoes, and onions. There are so many wonderful ways to make this; you can replace the sausage with a ham hock, add other veggies such as parsnips or carrots - just get creative!

I made mine pretty simple and traditional this time. I used about 3 lbs of potatoes (a mix of russet and red), 3 sausages (any high quality not-spicy will do), half a package of thick bacon, one onion, half a bunch of fresh parsley, and 2 cups chicken broth. If you have ham stock as an option that would be best!

First I browned the bacon and sausage. You can do this in the Dutch oven which creates a nice fatty base (drain most of the fat, though). I wanted it done quicker though, so I broiled them. I laid the bacon and sausage out on the same pan and stuck under the broiler for maybe a minute, flipped them, another minute on the other side.
It was here that I decided to flip. 
You don't want to cook them all the way through because they'll get dry, we just want them browned. Drain on some paper towels then chop. Some people like to make their coddle super chunky but I prefer mine to have more bite-sized pieces of the meat.

Next I peeled the potatoes and chopped them into chunks. The onion I sliced. The parsley I chopped coarsely.

Start preheating the oven to 300. In a Dutch oven layer the ingredients like so; onions, meat, potatoes. Season each layer liberally with pepper and parsley and sprinkle with salt - keeping in mind the saltiness of the meat! Continue layering until ingredients are used up. If you used similar quantities to mine you'll probably end up with 6 layers (onion/meat/potato/onion/meat/potato).
My top potato layer covered in parsley
Pour the broth over top and heat on the stove until boiling. Cover and put in the oven for 4-5 hours. After 2 hours find a piece of potato in your hair.

Also take this opportunity to check and make sure there's still liquid in the bottom - you want about an inch or so throughout cooking. I chose to add a little Guinness at this point, I'd say about 1/2 cup, while it cooked for the final 2 hours.

About half an hour before serving gather some veggies to saute! I used cabbage, garlic, leeks, parsnips, and carrots. Chop everything up; freeze the leek greens and carrot skins for future stock-making. The carrots cook longest so I started with those in a little olive oil, then added the leeks and parsnips. Next to go in was the garlic, then the cabbage just a little after that. I chopped up the rest of the parsley and stirred that in, cooking another 5 minutes. Seasoned with salt and pepper.


It's really amazing how much flavor this dish has!


End the meal with a Guinness float for dessert! Drop two scoops of Vanilla ice cream in a frosty pint glass. Top with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, carefully pour in the Guinness, then top with a generous helping of whipped cream. Might as well throw on a little extra chocolate!


Comments

Popular Posts