Breakfast Sausage Made Healthy

This is based on a recipe I found from the Mayo Clinic to make a healthier breakfast sausage. I am all about breakfast and especially my breakfast meats, but unfortunately it's mostly high fat and high sodium. By making your own sausage patties you have control over the seasoning and fat content.



We start by combining equal parts ground pork and ground turkey. In 1 pound of meat total season with; 1 tsp sugar, dry mustard, sage, pepper, onion powder, and 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes. Mix and form into patties, you'll end up with 12-15 depending on what size you make them. I like to freeze whatever I'm not using that day.

To cook, heat a pan over medium heat. I use cast iron so I don't need to oil it at all, but you may need to - the low fat nature of the turkey does make it inclined to stick. Put the patties in the pan, cover, and cook about 5 minutes each side or until cooked through.


One patty contains approximately 51 calories, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat

Another lean breakfast option that I like is just a simple slice of lean ham. Sautee it about 3-5 minutes each side. The sugars get caramelized and it is delicious!

Tomorrow I'll be posting about todays' St. Paddy's feast - Dublin Coddle, sauteed veggies, and Guinness floats! I love being Irish :)

Comments

Popular Posts