Mediterranean Chicken and Green Bean Salad

I saw this potato salad on Pinterest and it gave me ideas, for I have both green beans and potatoes that need to be used. I also have boneless skinless chicken breasts so I decided to make it as a whole dish rather than just a side. Hmmm...what else do I have.....Ooooo, artichoke hearts and olives! Guess we're going Mediterranean!

So I basically followed Sweet Little Bluebird's recipe. Boil some chopped potatoes, steam some green beans. Chop up some boneless, skinless chicken breasts and saute with 3-4 diced garlic cloves in about 1 tbs olive oil until golden. Add 1/2 cup white wine, 2 tsp thyme, and 1 tbs basil (preferably fresh, but I only had dried today). Let simmer until the wine has cooked out;
then throw all ingredients in a bowl with diced red and green onions, chopped green olives, and chopped artichoke hearts. Toss with the dressing, throw in some feta, and eat! One serving is only about 350 calories (depending on your dressing).


The original recipe recommends a couple different dressings but I chose to make my own. Dressings are so easy to make, I highly recommend it. They taste fresher and are healthier!

Since I was doing a Mediterranean theme I made this Greek style dressing; in a blender do 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 tbs rosemary, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, salt to taste (I did about a tsp I think), and a tbs dijon mustard. Blend away, then very slowly - very, very slowly - drizzle in 1/3 cup olive oil as the ingredients blend. The slower you add the olive oil the more it has a chance to emulsify - it's also best to have your ingredients at room temperature when you blend them. If you want to taste your dressing midway dip a piece of lettuce in it - this is better than just tasting the dressing straight. I also recommend letting the dressing sit for an hour or more before using. I made mine at about 4 pm for dinner at 6.


Enjoy, friends!!

Comments

Popular Posts