Super Easy, Super Fast, Super Delicious: Couscous and Turkey Edition

I had my lovely Nicole over today for crafts and foods. I love cooking for her because she's easy to feed - she'll try whatever you put in front of her and give me honest feedback. So she's perfect for testing new recipes on!

Today I wanted to try a couscous dish, which Nic has never had. This was a "what the heck do I have in the fridge that needs to get used" dish. I pulled out ground turkey, mini sweet peppers, basil, and spinach. Should be delicious, so here goes!

I marinated the turkey about an hour in chicken broth and seasonings; 1/2 tsp each of sage, dry mustard, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and onion powder. The broth has plenty of salt so I didn't add any to the turkey. As the turkey sat in the fridge I got started on the couscous; I cooked 1 cup couscous in 1 1/4 cup water, 1 tbs olive oil, and a dash of salt. Let it boil, cover, remove from heat. Chop up a small onion, 3 or 4 garlic cloves, a handful of spinach, the sweet peppers, and a few sprigs of basil.  Drain and rinse a can of garbanzo beans (Fiber!).

Dump the turkey and broth in a skillet and throw in the onions. We're going to let this simmer, stirring occasionally. Once the turkey is cooked, add another 1/2 tsp of each seasoning except the red pepper flakes, unless you want it spicier, in which case do add more red pepper flakes. Let this continue to simmer until the broth is reduced. Add 1/4 cup white wine, throw in the garlic and peppers, and continue simmering.


Once all that liquid is pretty reduced add the spinach and garbanzo beans. Simmer until spinach is wilted and beans are heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the basil. I wanted to stir the couscous into the turkey, but Jim prefers it as a bed at the bottom of the bowl so that's what we did. I served up 1/2 cup of couscous and tossed the turkey-beans on top. Grate some parmesan cheese on top, BAM! Dinner.

Oh ja, was delicious!


I also made us this tea. I added a couple sliced apples to it 'cause they were ready to be used, and it came out SO awesome. I highly recommend it. To those who know me it will come as zero surprise that I used the slow cooker method.
Not my picture. But it's purdy!
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!! I already published this post, but then I decided we needed dessert 'cause I really, really like to make my Nicole happy. So I roasted up a couple apples at 400 degrees for 20 minutes with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a few very thin pats of butter. Then we topped them with whipped cream!



Comments

Popular Posts