Red Wine Shiitake Risotto

Hmmm, using red wine in place of white - to match the earthiness of the mushroom, you ask? How clever!

The shroomies in question
Haha no. I just don't have white.

I kind of cheat on my risotto because I'm lazy and impatient. It still comes out delicious, but full disclosure - texture isn't perfect. Don't make it my way if you're trying to impress someone who really knows their game.

Here's what you'll need:

  • 2.5 cups beef broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbs Butter
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 3 shiitake, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 Tbs chopped fresh oregano (optional; I used it because I still have some from last week's CSA)
  • 1 green onion, minced

Heat some butter in a saucepan and saute the onion until soft and translucent, then add the mushrooms. Saute another 3-5 minutes until soft and slightly browned.


Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. At this point my pan was pretty dry, so I added some more butter before throwing in the rice. You can skip the extra butter if you still have some moisture floating around; or, if you're trying to save on calories, use a splash of wine or broth instead of butter. Saute the rice and veggies until the grains are translucent around the edges - it only took mine about 3 minutes.

Now add the wine. I started with 1 cup, but then as I was pouring it in I realized it was way too much. So, the rest went to my gullet!
Wine is acceptable day drinking, tyvm.
Cook until the wine is fully absorbed, only about 2-3 minutes. Stir in all but 3/4 cup of the broth, reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. I stirred mine twice in the 20 minutes it sat covered.

Add the rest of the broth and stir until creamy. Start to realize it's far too warm a day to be making risotto, stand in front of the fan for a minute. Add the parmesan and stir. Now remove from the heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in a tablespoon butter, lemon juice, parsley, oregano, and green onion. Taste; add salt and pepper as desired. If your risotto is too clumpy, add a little more broth to loosen it up. Eat immediately, because you know you want to.


Comments

Popular Posts