Some gardening and some chicken carnitas

I apologize, my Adoring Fans, for the absence. I've been cooking some delicious things - a steak chili was one of the highlights - but have been too busy with my FREAKIN' AMAZING JOB to blog about it!

Today's deliciousness: slow cooked carnitas! (Is it still carnitas if it isn't pork?)

Another super simple recipe, which is how I like to roll. Brown a couple chicken breasts in a cast iron skillet - we're not cooking them through, just browning. Throw them in a crock pot with 3/4 cup orange juice (to be really amazing, juice 3 oranges), juice 2 limes, 8 garlic cloves diced, 2 tbs chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp oregano, a dash of salt and pepper, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

When you take the chicken out shred it up. Mix it back in with about 1/4 cup of the cooking juices then spread out on a baking sheet and broil for about 3-5 minutes, or until just getting crispy. Mix in some more juice, stir, and broil another 3-5 minutes. Then stir in some more juice. We did about 1/4 cup of juice each time.
See that bare corner? That's where we were grabbing handfuls and eating it. It's that good.

Serve as tacos topped with cilantro, red onion, salsa verde, and sour cream. Yum yum yum! The way your house smells while it cooks: Yum yum yum!

196 calories - for two!

As for my gardening, we here at Casa Eudemonics have been talking about the need to plant some bee friendly flowers. As I walk about town there's a whole lot of Salvia Farinacea (ahem note: not Salvia Divinorum). They are always covered in bees, so today I took a trimming of one plant and am trying to root them! It's a huge experiment unlike anything I've done before, so we'll see how it goes.

The flowers of salvia farinacea. Looks a lot like lavender.

I did a Google search for tips and used primarily this website as a basis. I mixed a soil of half peat moss and half perlite and then moistened it. I separated the stems, trimmed the leaves, and dipped the ends in powdered rooting hormone. Then I just stick their little butts in the moss/perlite mix and....I guess we'll wait to see! Everything I read stated that Spring is ideal for doing this so we'll just have to see how it goes. I have high hopes, though.

I left some bushier than others. Some are trimmed to only two leaves.
I also got myself a very nice looking China Doll plant for $1, then went home and did research to find out they're very finicky plants. So we'll see how that goes as well...I love my China Doll plant, so hopefully it goes well.

The third gardening task for today was repotting the Jade succulent that I had in my office...oh yeah, I potted a Jade succulent in a cigar box. It's pretty much awesome. Unfortunately he was starting to show signs of root rot, so I brought him home, increased drainage and changed out his soil to mostly perlite and rocks. Fingers crossed!!

Comments

Popular Posts